Best of Boards Forums  

Welcome to the Best of Boards Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Best of Boards Forums > BoB Auctions > Auction Help and Rules for Participation
Mark Forums Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts

Auction Help and Rules for Participation User-written tutorials for common BoB auction tasks

Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
~Brenda~

How can some bid at the exact time

as I have bid.... if you look at the candles from Bunny that are listed... Both of the times I have bid someone else had bid at the same time.... How in the world is that fair..... I have had this happen before. Can someone explain how in the world they do that?
~Brenda~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Michelle in IL
is here!

They set their bid higher- and it automatically raises after you bid- and will keep going until it reaches their maximum amount that they want to bid.
Michelle in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
belindaj
Technical Staff

Every person who bids (including you) can put in a "max bid" which serves as a proxy bid - and is higher than the actual current required increment.

And then also - on "hot" items - people really do stalk the auction. Believe me - I've lost items the same way before as well
belindaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
angiehascandles
Inactive

If someone puts in a maxi bid then it automatically ups their bid when someone new bids unless you pass their max bid.

Wow we all jumped on that didn't we. LOL
angiehascandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Laura612
la~la~la~la

This is because they put in a "proxy" bid. You have to beat what their maximum bid is. This is quite common in online auctions.

Basically say the opening bid is $10. Bidder A comes and puts in a maximum bid of $15. You are Bidder B and see that Bidder A has a bid of $10 on the candle. So, you bid $11. You should be prompted that you have been outbid and would you like to bid again. This will keep happening until you go at least one cent over the maximum bid of Bidder A. In this example $15.01. The system is bidding for Bidder A until they hit the maximum bid.

This is why if you go back and look at the bid history you will see the times as exactly the same for your bids. Because in reality you are prompting the system to bid higher for Bidder A.

Confusing, but makes complete since once you understand proxy bidding.
Laura612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Laura612
la~la~la~la

With all these different explanations hopefully you get it now.
Laura612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Michelle in IL
is here!

Michelle in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
~Brenda~

how do you put max bid on? So really if I wanted to be mean, I could jack up the price and they would have to pay it? Well I can kiss those candles good bye! I guess I done with that auction....

Brenda
~Brenda~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Suzan

The intent is not to "jack up the price" but for the bidder who sets a proxy to set the amount they are willing to pay for the item. It may just be that the other bidder is willing to pay more for an item and that's what they put in as their highest bid (proxy). The system doesn't tell you what their highest bid is so if the intent is to "jack it up" to make them pay their limit it could just well backfire on the bidder who's jacking it up because at some point you'll pass their highest bid and then you are now the high bidder (and maybe paying more then what you wanted to pay for the item just to out bid them).

The system bids for the item until it reaches the max bid amount of that bidder.

It's not meant to be mean, but it makes it easier to keep bidding on an item you want without having to constantly watch the item. Especially if the auction is near the end.

Last edited by Suzan; 12-08-2006 at 09:45 PM..
Suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #10
belindaj
Technical Staff

Just don't put in a max bid higher than you are willing to pay if you end up BEING the high bid.

It's not about "jacking up the price" - it's about winning an auction item that people are very interested in - and it can get very competitive when more than one person REALLY REALLY wants that item.

Again - just remember - if you win it - you are responsible for the winning bid payment.
belindaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
Candice
Candejo's Creations!

It's an awesome feature for people like me who have a tendency to forget when an auction is ending. I it. I place a bid for the highest amount I am willing to pay for an item, and then I don't have to think about it again. Saves me some HUGE disappointment if I forget something is listed and I hadn't bid anything on it yet....then I see in closed auctions that it was purchased by someone else for less than I would have paid for it. Hence why I BIN's. I just click and purchase it right then.
Candice is offline   Reply With Quote