Best of Boards Forums  

Welcome to the Best of Boards Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Best of Boards Forums > BoB General (All BoB Members) > Forum Help and Feedback > Comments, Suggestions, Problems, Feedback > Reputation System Comments and Stats
Mark Forums Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts

Reputation System Comments and Stats The Rep System is disabled and discontinued effective 5/8/06. This forum is now closed for posting.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
jackie
Technical Staff

New Feature: Reputation System

We're launching a feature called "Reputation". Once it's launched you'll see two new images under your names. The first one will be a small green rectangle. Hover over the image and it will say something that refers to your current "reputation". Everyone begins with a level of 10 and has the same hover over message. The next image you'll see below that is a small scales of justice. If you click on that in anyone's POST, you can leave them feedback as an "approve" or "disapprove", along with a comment if you choose. The person you leave feedback for will be able to go into their usercp and see that comment but they will not see WHO left the feedback. They can also see if other's have left them comments by clicking on the scales in any of their posts.

Leaving reputation for a user will make their reputation go up or down. For every 100 points of reputation they receive, their reputation image will either add another square image and/or change color. Green is first, then gold once they reach a certain level of approval. If their approval goes below a certain level their image will turn red.

You can leave reputation for one person in one post but cannot leave that SAME person reputation until you have left reputation for 10 other unique users. This prevents anyone from trying to bump someone's reputation up or down quickly.

Each member can go to their usercp at any time and view the last 10 reputation comments left for them. It will show them which post it was posted to but does not show who left the message. In other words, your comments are anonymous to the person you leave them for.

This will give the entire BoB community the ability to let other users know when they feel a user's post is worth giving them a point of approval or disapproval. The admin and mods will have nothing to do with it.

This does not mean that Admin's will not be locking or removing threads if/when we feel it is warranted. Personal attacks in public threads will continue to be addressed, most likely by closing the thread. The reputation feature is private and we won't be interceding for anyone when it comes to this. Hopefully once everyone starts using this feature it will stop some of the public bickering and we will have to step in less and less.

Questions about the system itself (not your individual reputation comments) you are welcome to post directly in this thread as a reply and they will be answered inline by an admin in Q&A fashion.

General Comments may be left in the this thread in the Comments/Feedback forum

A chuckle a day keeps the blues away
Shop with our Business Links | Premium Membership
Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
belindaj
Technical Staff

The new Reputation System replaces the recent "3 Strikes" rule for the time being. The point of trying out this new system is to make each and every member more accountable to the rest of the members - not just to the admins. No ONE PERSON has the power to "make" a member have a negative reputation.

It is our hope that this community can and will use the reputation system responsibly and in the manner in which it is intended. Abuse of the system will be monitored, but the admins will NOT be modifying individual member's reputation points EXCEPT in the case of a mistake. If you DO accidentally leave negative when you meant positive - the person who left the mistaken rep point should contact an admin and give us the name of the member you goofed on, and the post you were giving reputation on - and we will verify it and make the correction if necessary. We will NOT make changes just because you changed your mind about what you said. (revised 10/26/05)

There will be NO POSTS permitted discussing individual rep issues. For example:
Hey whoever left me the positive points for my xxx post - thank you!
Or
Hey, whoever keeps leaving me those nasty comments and knocking my points down can stop now!
Or
Whoever left me the following comment - please PM me.
These types of posts/threads will be immediately removed, no questions asked.

Questions about the system itself (not your individual reputation comments) you are welcome to post directly in this thread as a reply and they will be answered inline by an admin or mod (inline) in Q&A fashion.

General Comments may be left in the this thread in the Comments/Feedback forum.

Here are the details of how points are given/taken.
What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration? Every member starts with 10.

Number of reputation ratings displayed in your UserCP: Only the most recent 10 (revised 10/25/05 based on popular vote)

For every 500 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. In other words - your "hit" power for giving or taking away reputation points is 1 each time you give/take rep. When your personal reputation reaches at least 500 - you then count for "2" instead of "1" points.

How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 2

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? We are not implementing this criteria on BoB - in other words - at least for this trial period - no matter WHAT your personal reputation is - you are still allowed to "count" when you give/take reputation to other members.

How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? 10

How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? 10
Here are the levels at which your reputation changes.
User is infamous around these parts -75
User can only hope to improve -50
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
User is on a distinguished road 10
User will become famous soon enough 50
User has a spectacular aura about 150
User is a jewel in the rough 250
User is just really nice 350
User is a glorious beacon of light 450
User is a name known to all 550
User is a splendid one to behold 650
User has much to be proud of 1000
User has a brilliant future 1500
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

Note: A user who has a reputation below -75 is off the scale, and should really take a look at how they interact with the community.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Steve
Stars In My Eyes

This is a real exciting feature I can't wait for you all to implement. To me, it will empower the newest members of BoB to share their opinions and ideas, thus bringing fresh perspectives to the diversity of BoB. Plus it provides the newest members of BoB with the same power for change as the most "seasoned" member. We need to create an atmosphere of welcoming acceptance to new and differing ideas if BoB is going to grow and not stagnate.

It will help all members on the occasion that a post they made did not come across as it was intended and they get rep points. Then they can post a further explanation before it gets misinterpreted my more members and the original idea of their post gets lost or taken in a direction never intended.

Another great thing about this system is it replaces the admin only decision as to what is acceptable to the community. The "positive peer culture" will help guide the direction of BoB into the future. The opinions of thousands instead of only the mods and admins will have a greater insight into what everyone needs and wants to see. Provided it is used responsibly.

Thank you to a member of the Mod Squad for your phrase of Positive Peer Culture. It so typifies what we are trying to accomplish.

PL Product Gallery - Your one-stop Idea Shop
Welcome to BoB & New Members Resource | What's Premium | Pray for our country.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Suzan

Where in user cp do you go to view the comments attached.
You will see them right in the main content window when you click on UserCP - it's not a separate menu item.

And the agree/disagree is being left about the post in that particular thread, right?
Correct. if someone has 4 different replies in a single thread - there are four opportunities to leave feedback/reputation. Although you are limited on "hitting" the same person multiple times before giving other members rep points, AND you are limited to 10 total rep instances in a 24 hour period.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Gena

Leaving a message with the approve/disapprove is optional?
Correct. You don't have to leave a comment if you don't want to.

Is the idea to leave an approve/disapprove reguarding the attitude or behavior of the poster in that particular post? (rather than just b/c you disagree with their opinion)
Disagreeing with the posted opinion would be best served by posting IN the thread - as a discussion. That's the point of having a discussion. However, if you can't post a differing opinion without being respectful of the other members of the board and have a need to flame the member(s) - you can vent if you must in the reputation feedback. Keep the personal barbs OFF the public threads or it may result in closing of the thread, in which case you then leave yourself open for a lot of potential negative rep feedback.

Last edited by Gena; 10-23-2005 at 06:01 PM..
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
janie

Just because I can't go with anything unsaid....can a user with say three months of 2000 points earn a something...maybe a free month on BOB???
LOL - who knows - we'll see where we are at the end of the trial period - that's a very good possibility! For now - we simply need to exercise the system as we have built it.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Thunder John

Maybe I'm just stupid and didn't pick this up; but please clarify this for me:
You're not stupid, but it appears you haven't read/understood the extent of the system and the checks and balances that we've tried to put in place from the start. It is also currently a trial perod - which we will observe and re-evaluate as we go to see where changes may need to be made.

If somebody disagrees with an opinion in one of my posts, they can hammer my reputation. It can have nothing to do with my behavior, style of post and/or assertiveness of my post; or lack thereof. It can have nothing to do with any 'personal attack?'
Yes, it's possible that can happen. In a community of responsible adults, we can only hope that the responsible adults will act - responsibly - and use the system as it is intended - as a peer feedback system.

Thus, people can get hammered just on general principles or whether or not the responder and the poster have a past history? I can get hammered because somebody disagrees; thus giving them the chance to throw knives without being publicly accountable and addressing the point?
Yes, it's possible that can happen. The same way members here subtly "throw knives" with their carefully worded posts designed to stay just within the rules and yet intended to be flaming and condescending. Your (collective "your" as in every member who posts in the BoB forums) posts and the manner in which you post affect many members to the point that they are afraid to post at all for fear of retribution, and some simply go away not even willing to become involved. I can tell you all that I receive PMs and emails expressing this from many members, all the time, and there are people here who think I'm making it up out of thin air because of some personal vendetta I have against them. This public reputation display is a way to let those people make their voices heard without fear of retribution from the people who are acting like neighborhood bullies. Just because you (again - collective you as in every member here - not you, "Thunder John") don't think your post is offensive, doesn't mean someone else did find it highly offensive and/or personally attacking.

Please correct me where my assumptions (and I'm sure it's my fault) have gone wrong. And watch my number sink like a rock.
As I've said in fewer words in the Comment thread - it would be nice if everyone would not make assumptions about how the system will work - and simply ALLOW it and give it a chance to work before driving it into the ground.

Respectfully,

TJ
Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Gena

Do the admins know who posted the feedback?
ADMINS - Yes. (Moderators - NO) If an admin wanted to look it up, we could do so. However, there is no reason for us to look up user comments as we will NOT get involved in private discussion between members or make changes - keyword being PRIVATE as in not publicly visible. revised to simply answer the question.

What if a person decides to start a campaign to ruin a person's 'reputation'. And it is VERY obvious? We will cross that bridge when we come to it. As I said in the announcement - abuse WILL be monitored - and yes, if it becomes obvious that there is a "campaign" of any kind on ANY member - action will be taken.

Will the admins take action to remove those types of feedbacks?
No. They are visible ONLY to you, the person reputation was left for. Read it if you must, and move on.

Or if a person makes a personal attack in the feedback that is unwaranted or uses foul language... will that be allowed to be moderated by an admin?
No. It is not up to an admin to make the decision on what is warranted or deserved - that's like telling users their opinion doesn't matter. We're trying to remove ourselves from making those judgement calls which we are not equipped to make. The comments are visible only to you, the person reputation was left for. Read it if you must, and move on.

And finally what happens on the oppposite end of what Lanie I think you meant Janie asked... What if a users score goes to the -75 or more level? Is there any sort of action going to be taken by the admins on someone who is apparently just causing trouble and not offering anything positive to the board?
Again - we will cross that bridge when and if we come to it.

Last edited by Lanie; 10-24-2005 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
Suzan

So it's like ebay or auctions where you can see from feedback on how they dealt with people in a transaction? I'm still thinking that what one perceives as a bad post will be okay with another.
Basically.

Guess the bad reputation comment could be off-set by good ones to balance out the overall rating of that person.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
Stacy

I'm a little confused. If I post a response in a thread. Can more than one person comment on it? Or is it only one person?

As many people can give reputation comments on it as want to do so. All those comments are viewable BY YOU ONLY by clicking on your scales on THAT post - or the most recent 5 comments of all given - in your UserCP.

S
Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
joni8958

I can't even leave reputation points... when I click on the figure nothing happens. When I tell it to open in another window it opens the thread

Are you clicking on the scales or on the green box? Are you clicking on the scales in one of YOUR replies, or in someone else's?

I am clicking on the scales and in someone else's reply... nothing happens. When I right click on it and tell it to open in a new window it opens the thread

NOTE with resolution: (on the server side: permissions correction for one premium member group) User action necessary after that - hard refresh (CTRL + F5), emptied cookies and restarted her computer.

Last edited by joni8958; 10-24-2005 at 06:38 PM..
Old 10-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
Gena

I just clicked on my user cp to see for the heck of it, if I got any 'hits' today. LOL.

Anywho.... I have one feedback, but it doesn't have a comment with it. How do I know if this was a good comment or a negative comment?

Green is good, red is not good.

Okeee... so the little box next to the comment will only ever be in green or red.... gotcha....

(Still trying to wrap my head around all of this).
~Gena
Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 AM   #13
amyspike

am i able to use this also for BOB auctions? Say a person never paid for an item?

No. The BoB Auction has a Feedback system and a process to resolve disputes. This is for fourm posts only. it would be very irresponsible to pick a post on the board and use it to leave an auction comment that has nothing to do with the board. And what good would that do you in resolvving your auction problem - your comment is anonymous? Send a PM, send an email, follow the posted Dispute Resolution process that has been in place since the day the auctions started.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Penny

Quote:
Okeee... so the little box next to the comment will only ever be in green or red.... gotcha....

(Still trying to wrap my head around all of this).
~Gena
Nope there is a gold one...will have to go back and re read but...I saw there is a green, gold, red

From Jackies first post
Quote:
Green is first, then gold once they reach a certain level of approval. If their approval goes below a certain level their image will turn red.

Penny

No Penny, that is incorrect - in your usercp or in the comment popup - the icon will always be either green for positive, red for negative, The gold icon only shows as part of your profile display reputation. ~B

Sorry my mistake! ~ Penny

Last edited by Penny; 10-24-2005 at 12:01 PM..
Old 10-24-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
mmm0708

Can I leave feedback even if it would be obvious to the poster that it is from me? At least to me it would seem obvious. Or is that frowned upon?

Of course you can. The POINT of the program is not the anonymity - it's simply an option for those who wish to use it. The POINT of the program is feedback - for feedback's sake - not for the sake of "zinging someone a good flaming" OR for "kissing up with nicey nice comments". Give feedback - when it is warranted and when you feel inclined. Don't expect a response - because unless you sign your name (which I DON'T recommend - good OR bad) - there IS no way for that person to know without a doubt who left the feedback.

I'd even go a step further and suggest that if you're leaving feedback based on "What's In It For Me" rather than for a constructive purpose for the person you're leaving it for - you might as well not leave it at all.

Thanks. Definitely never thought WIFM! I simply would like someone to know that they have made my day much brighter, and it has been a very dark, sad day. -Melissa

Great! That is exactly how I have used the system so far in the last 24 hours too, and how I expect to use it going forward. Thanks ~B

Last edited by mmm0708; 10-24-2005 at 02:47 PM..
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #16
Suzan

Is there a character limit in the comments section?

I'm not sure - I know we typed some pretty long "dummy" comments when we were testing out the feature on the development board before implementing it. We did not run into a character limit - and if there is one - it is not something that is manipulated in the control panel (it's not a setting that I had capability of changing without going deeper into the source code itself) ~B
Old 10-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #17
Lissa

Question:

If your points change, at what point does the 'title' change? For example, if you're at 10 now ("on a distinguished road"), and 0 is "unknown variable" -- at what point does your title change from "distinguished" to "unknown"? Is it when you hit zero, or is it when you go below 10?

(Does that make any sense?)

Here are the levels Lissa ~B
Quote:
Here are the levels at which your reputation changes.
User is infamous around these parts -75
User can only hope to improve -50
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
User is on a distinguished road 10
User will become famous soon enough 50
User has a spectacular aura about 150
User is a jewel in the rough 250
User is just really nice 350
User is a glorious beacon of light 450
User is a name known to all 550
User is a splendid one to behold 650
User has much to be proud of 1000
User has a brilliant future 1500
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000
Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
Lissa

RIght. But....my quesion is just asking for clarification: if you're at 10, and you get, say, 2 negative points, that would take you to 8. Do you retain the title from when you were at 10, or does it stay at that title until you actually hit zero? (In other words - is it possible for me to drop to 1 point and still be "on a distinguished road"?)

I'm not sure Lissa. I'll see if I can find the answer though and edit it in to this post when/if I find it. ~B
Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #19
Marcianna

Color me confused.
I HAD 3 feedbacks 15 minutes ago. I NOW have 2??? But my POINTS say I have 3?
Anyone? just trying to understand the new system

M

I am 99.9999% POSITIVE nothing I was doing while pulling stats should have affected or removed anything but it's possible I clicked something in error - but if I did it was definately an unexpected and unintended oops. That's why this is in TRIAL PERIOD I'll take a look at your specific rep in detail if you would like me to. (Not to change anything - simply to observe the discrepancy in numbers). Let me know if you would like me to look at your feedback specifically. ~B
Old 10-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #20
LizC
Inactive

is it bad for me if i dont ever leave feedback for anyone?
Nope. It's your choice to participate or not.

or good for me if i do?
Nope. It's your choice to participate or not.

honestly never thought something like this existed